UX.BLOG




STUDIO PRACTICES
HUMAN SENSE
[1][2]
BOREDOM
[3][4]
YELLOW
[5][6]
SKIN
[7][8]
PAPER
[9][10]

COLLABARATION
BIO-SYMPHONY
[11]
SECOND SKIN
[12]

MACRO
MISINFROMATION
[13][14][15]












JACOB TOMES
WORK




Week 6: UX of Yellow


[]  Thursday 4th of November: Development and toolkit


[]  Brief: Design a experience based on the characteristics of the colour yellow


[]  Team members: Desire, Sofia, Xuzhihan, Jinqi



Organising time and delegation of tasks

Reflecting on the last week of work we realised we had a lot of work ahead of us. This would mean dividing up into teams to complete all the tasks. This was a really effective method as we all had our own strengths within the group and no time was wasted.


Refining presentation and outcome

In a tutorial we got told about zapper which is an AR version of a QR code. Zapper is less intrusive as it  projects the AR object onto the code creating a link between the digital and physical interface. Using Zapper made the two elements of taking the physical and linking it with the digital much more integrated.



We wanted the dance videos to be more clean so we hired a studio and greenscreen. This made the videos quite minimal and the focus was on the dancer and didn’t have a distracting background. Keeping it minimal also made the shapes from the dance more apparent.













We changed some of the dance moves so that they would be more clear and expressive. 

Poster designs

To show the 3 different categories taste, texture and temperature I chose to use different font weights to create a visual representation. I think I could have explored more options for doing this like potential different fonts that reflected the words, but we were working with basic terminology and wanted to steer clear of using a typeface that looked ‘cold’. I opted for a visual language that I defined as different font weights.




 
As for the type reflecting movement, I decided to make custom ligatures. The ligatures gave the type a humanistic feel and emulated the moment the user would learn. In the presentation these ligatures also acted as points for people to interpret the dance moves without the need of the zapper code, which we didn’t anticipate. This could mean it could work in an analogue format without the need for the digital aspect.




Presentation


The issue with our presentation was that it wasn’t very inclusive. We had a large group of volunteers come up and take part. However, I think it should have been more a whole group activity. We could have got one person in the middle of the room to teach dances to everyone else, like a dance lesson but I think we got too caught up on the technology side of things.




However, the tech was important as we were thinking of this idea as a digital library that could be added to from cultures around the world. So this was challenging because we had to make a decision if we should make it work well in a physical presentation or keep true to the concept.


Summary


I think this group worked really well together. We had a divided set of skills which we all made each other aware of, so we knew each other's strengths and weaknesses. Setting out a plan in the second week and dividing up the task made good use of our time and helped us with decision making as it is easy to get stuck in the perfectionist mindset or talk an idea out of existence. So by setting up these goals we knew we had to have done and when and that gave us parameters to work within.


Another aspect of this project that I liked was the use of creative toolkits. This is something I really enjoy doing as it allows the users to have freedom and create within the rule you set, which produces an outcome and process that I value. Using a tool kit also allows you to design to see how your idea can be scaled with different sized audiences and environments.