Week 5: UX of Yellow

[]  Thursday 28th of October: artifact analysis

[]  Brief: Design a experience based on the characteristics of the colour yellow

[]  Team members: Desire, Sofia, Xuzhihan, Jinqi

Time management was a struggle at the start of this project as we were all busy with other commitments, so most of the initial ideation took place over zoom calls. This was a difficult dynamic for me, as I work best when I can bounce ideas off people and work together to actualise a direction. The structure of the zoom call was similar to a critic - group members presented their ideas and the rest of the group gave feedback.

Desire and Sofia presented the idea of exploring yellow food. After reading the brief I was starting to think about language and how different cultures experience food differently. I want to explore how different cultures could communicate their different experiences to one another.

I thought the original idea was good and it gave us a direction and constants to work with in but the concept needed to be more grounded and have a wider context.

Using artifact analysis we tasted a range of yellow foods. We realised that we need to work within a framework of flavours as this would allow us to collect more concise data that we could compare.

In Textures, taste and aroma: multi-scale materials and the gastrophysics of food. Figure one shows a hierarchy pyramid splitting up different levels of food tastes and senses. We used this as the basis for developing our language .

Working with  a toolkit for the project helped to develop the idea, because it gave us parameters to work within. We selected a group of food that we would define the flavours for to show that the tool kit works but then this tool kit would hopefully be able to work at any scale.

To communicate flavours we decided to use dance moves. As tastes are normally communicated with verbal or facial expression. Encouraging the user to move their whole body, created a more playful, engaging form of self expression.

The main challenge with this was making all the dance moves visually differentiated or it would be hard to communicate. So like with rough and soft dance moves we went with very bold movements.

Hot and cold didn’t work as well because we were trying to work with a scale from cold to hot and this meant the movement wasn’t as bold. When it was put with other dance moves it felt a bit lost.

For our prototype we choose to make dance instruction videos that the user could use to communicate the flavours. The qr codes were a quick solution whoever they proved to be difficult for users to navigate with when engaging with the experience.

From the feedback we got everyone liked the idea and thought expressing flavour through dance was a new idea that put to very different experiences together. However as I previously said using the QR codes made the presentation messy and uncoordinated as the volunteers found it hard to navigate and understand what they were doing.


I think it's important to remember when presenting that people might not understand your ideas in the same way the presenter does. We had been working on it all week so it was really obvious to us and we thought it would be to the audience however, we could have spent more time explaining and had clearer instructions. It would have worked just as well if we had just taught the volunteers the dance moves in front of everyone but we got caught up in the tech side of things which can be very time consuming in these short projects. I value the concept more and looking back we should have looked at the best way to communicate that, rather than using quite time consuming tool videos and qr codes to achieve a relatively simple outcome.