UX.BLOG




STUDIO PRACTICES
HUMAN SENSE
[1][2]
BOREDOM
[3][4]
YELLOW
[5][6]
SKIN
[7][8]
PAPER
[9][10]

COLLABARATION
BIO-SYMPHONY
[11]
SECOND SKIN
[12]

MACRO
MISINFROMATION
[13][14][15]












JACOB TOMES
WORK




 

Misinformation

Applied works x Chatham house
Team members: Effy, Fiza, Mita and Vicki
Design an experience that explains the importance of fighting misinformation




Learning Games

String game


We started to think about different ways we could show the spread of misinformation. This was a game we developed based on trust. The crossover of the different coloured threads show the intersections of information streams. This game became difficult to interact with as the rules were cumbersome and the thread became difficult to hold as the game progressed. 





Ball game


This game showed how information changde in a more conceptual sense. Each play had a coloured clay and would build on others clay, the colours tracked who interacted with who. The concept of this game worked well, even though the scale was small. This would not work in an installation format.









Diagram development





The flow diagram would work best for an installation because of its scale. So we decided to scale it up. To progress the design we placed streams of information on the floor that the user could follow.

This worked a lot better when interacting with multiple people because of the scale. This was just a low fidelity prototype that allowed us to test out the logistics of how it would work.






Their overall aesthetic of this piece was cumbersome and the tools that we were using made it complex to move around.









I made these diagrams to show the potential layout of how the diagram could work. I used bright colours to make it stand out.




The idea was that from this the view could clearly see everything interacting and it would be visually stimulating.





Everything operated within the grid system making it a modular system that could be scaled up or down depending on the space.

The next step was to take this diagram and make it real, so we could test it.



Making

As it was difficult to navigate with the string, me and Effy went to the workshop to make poles that would stick out the ground that the string could wrap around as a structure. This would create tension and structure to the installation. 






Testing

Really happy with the aesthetic of how this coloured tape looks. The grid that we added helped to structure the information flow and keep everything within a layout. The bright colour of the tape helped to stand out against the floor and made everything distinguishable.







Type Layout

Using the grid we experimented with different layouts for the type. The user would have to be able to follow the streams of information and go on multiple tangents. We settle on having the information break the grid and expand out into the exhibition space, as this gives the user the best experience when following the streams of text.









Final presentation

We found a good exhibition space for the final presentation. We arranged everyone a floor above the installation in the auditorium so they could have a birds-eye view for the experience of seeing all the wires cross and visualize the misinformation.


This worked well with feedback and gave a new dynamic to the presenting style as we were talking up to the audience in a large space. 







Summary

Overall, I think this project is a good start to a visualization of misinformation but feel we didn’t push our final outcome as far as it could have gone as it still felt like a low fidelity prototype. But what this did do was act as a proof of concept. A suggestion was for this initiation to act as a way of data collection which we could then use to form an outcome.