Applied works x Chatham house
Team members: Effy, Fiza, Mita and Vicki
Design an experience that explains the importance of fighting misinformation

Idea generation

At this point in the process we had done a lot of research and realized we needed to collate our thoughts and ideas as a group. There were lots of different directions we could head in. I think it was good to use a mind map at this stage, so we could see everything we had and organize all our thinking into one space - helping us to work on a new direction together.

We determined from this mind map that interviews weren’t enough as they didn’t really explain misinformation and how it affects the growing network. We decided we would need to devise a workshop that would give users a macro perspective of the misinformation network.

Image reference 

When looking at systems, we thought of the netflix show Bandersnach, part of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series. This was an interactive story line that allowed the user to pick an alternative narrative giving them multiple endings, like a butterfly effect. We wanted to apply this same idea to show people who misinformation affected the network.

Sprawl.Space is a project by Metaheaven that created a documentary about propaganda that appears on social media. The document structure is in individual sections that can be viewed in any order. The user curated the experience for themselves, similar to the Bandersnatch film.


Based on the narrative flow diagram that was made for Bandersnach, we tried to apply the same principle to simulate the experience of misinformation. It was important to us that we made it into a physical space, as showing the process of misinformation was quite an abstract concept that was hard to grasp, so making it into something that could be experienced with the whole body, would help participants to understand.

The maze was based on a flow diagram that had been made physical. The idea being that everyone would start at the same point but could finish at multiple different points.

We conducted tests with the user to determine how it would be interacted with. It became evident at this point that it would be hard for multiple people to participate at the same time. So at this point it would need to either be scaled larger or it be taken in turns.

We used tape to make it stand out on the floor making for a graphic impact.

Iterim Presentation

The response from the interim presentation was that it being on the floor was difficult for views to engage with at this scale. However, this was the first step in communicating the negative effects of misinformation to an audience, this worked well as it sparked lots of conversation in the presentation, with lots of peers having opinions - the aim of this being a machine for conversation was starting to take shape.


At this stage we developed our research through user testing, interviews and secondary research. We are at the stage of the first physical installation. This was difficult to get to this point as we were taking such an intangible concept, and making it physical. As a group we were very good at delegating tasks to work efficiently. But I feel the progression was slow at this stage. We need to push forward and create more explorative prototypes.